Retrospective Building Regulations Approval

If building work have already been carried out (after the 11th of November 1985) without having building regulation consent, the works are considered unauthorised.

This can create problems when buying or selling a property. Consent for these works can still be applied for by submitting a regularisation application.

Regularisation application form (PDF, 384KB)


There are charges to cover the cost of assessing your application, on-site inspections and the issue of a regularisation certificate. The fee is 150% of the building notice charge shown in the list of charges (this application type is not subject to VAT).

Building regulations guidance notes for charges (PDF, 170KB)

If you are not sure which charge applies to your application, contact with details of the work you will be carrying out and we will advise you.