Ordinary watercourse consent

Watercourses are channels that water flows through. An ordinary watercourse can be rivers and streams (other than main rivers) and all ditches, drains, cuts, culverts, dikes, sewers (other than public sewers) and passages, through which water flows. To carry out work on an ordinary watercourse you will need to apply to us for ordinary watercourse consent. 

If you want to carry out works in, over, under or near a main river or a flood defence (including a sea defence), you will need to apply to Natural Resources Wales (external website) for consent. 

Ordinary Watercourse Consent

In order to allow work to take place we can issue consent for a proposed scheme by checking that it does not increase the risk of flooding or affect the environment. 

Both permanent and temporary works affecting a watercourse may require consent. Temporary works could be the damming or partial damming of a watercourse to allow permanent work such as the installation of a bridge. 

How much does it cost?

The fee for ordinary watercourse consent is £50 per structure. You can pay this by sending a cheque made out to Denbighshire county council. 

How to apply

You will need to complete an ordinary watercourse consent application form which can be returned to the email or postal address given in the form.

Ordinary watercourse consent application form (PDF, 300KB)

How long does the consent last?

Your consent will be valid for three years as the effects of a scheme may change since the application was first made. 

For some works, a conditioned consent may be given for you to carry out the work, for example at a certain time of year, in order to reduce flood risk and potential ecological damage.