Paying for care at home

Once eligible care and support needs have been identified, this may lead to the development of a managed Care and Support Plan, which you may be expected to contribute towards.

Eligibility - what does this mean?

Eligibility is about access to managed care and support to meet personal outcomes (what matters to you).  It is not about having the right to a specific service provided or arranged by the Local Authority.

  • Eligibility relates to your individual need, not to you as a person
  • You may have some of your care and support needs deemed as eligible, other care and support needs may not be
  • A change in your circumstances can impact on your eligibility at any time

There are four conditions that you need to meet to be eligible:

Condition 1

The first condition relates to your circumstances and is met if your need arises from the list below.  In the case of a carer, the need is as a result of providing care for a citizen who has one or more needs listed below:

  • Physical or mental ill-health
  • age
  • disability
  • dependence on alcohol or drugs
  • other similar circumstances – ask for more information about what this could include.

Condition 2

The second condition is met if the need relates to one or more of the outcomes below:

  • Ability to carry out self-care or domestic routines;
  • Ability to communicate;
  • Protection from abuse or neglect;
  • Involvement in work, education, learning or in leisure activities;
  • Maintenance or development of family or other significant personal relationships;
  • Development and maintenance of social relationships and involvement in the community; or
  • Fulfilment of caring responsibilities for a child

Condition 3

The third condition is met if your need cannot be met by you alone, with the care and support of others who are able or willing to provide that care and support; or with the assistance of services in the community. 

Condition 4

The fourth condition is met if you/your carer is unlikely to achieve one or more of your personal outcomes unless the local authority provides or arranges care and support to meet the need in accordance with a managed Care and Support Plan.

All four of the conditions listed above need to be met to be eligible for a managed care and support plan.

How much will I have to pay?

Whether or not you need to contribute depends on your financial circumstances. We will carry out a financial assessment to decide how much you will have to pay. We will also support you to make sure you are getting all the benefits you are entitled to. All information will remain confidential. 

If your income is below a certain amount, we will not ask you to pay towards the cost of your care.

If you have more than £24,000 in savings you will be asked to pay up to a maximum of £100 per week towards the cost of your care.

You do not have to have a financial assessment. However, if you choose not to have a financial assessment you will be asked to pay up to a maximum of £100 per week towards the cost of the care and support services you receive.

The maximum amount you could be asked to pay towards the cost of your care at home in Wales is £100 per week. 

You can find out more information in our charging policy.

Charging policy for care and support services (PDF, 239KB)

How do I pay?

You will receive a bill every month, showing what services you've received, how much they cost, and how much you have to pay. The bills will always be a month in arrears - for example, the bill for services you received in September will be sent to you in October.

You can pay:

  • by direct debit
  • using Paypal
  • in cash or by cheque at a One Stop Shop
  • By debit or credit card over the phone by telephoning 01824 706000

If you are having difficulty in meeting the expense of the charge or contribution we ask you to make, please contact us as soon as possible, in some circumstances we can look at a waiver of your charges or payment by instalments.

We will also review your charges each year or if there are any changes to the benefits you receive. You can request a review of you charges at any time by contacting the Finance Income and Assessment Team by telephone: Rhyl 01824 706392 or Ruthin 01824 712403 or email

Benefit and debt management advice

Citizens Advice provide information on entitlement to benefits (external website) as well as help with debt and money (external website).

Find out how to contact Citizens Advice (external website).

Related documents