Animal licences

We are responsible for issuing a range of animal licences to ensure that owners of animals and establishments comply with the required standards.

New charges for all animal licensing applications were brought in from 1 September 2023. Details are available on each licence page.

Services and information

Animal boarding licence

How to apply and what conditions you must meet.

Dog breeding licence

You will need a licence to breed and sell dogs.

Dangerous and wild animal licence

You will need a licence from the council to keep dangerous or wild animals.

Animal Activities Licences (previously pet shop licenses)

Your premises must meet certain conditions before we grant a licence.

Horse riding establishment licence

How to apply for a licence to run a horse riding establishment.

Animal movements

You must have a licence to move cattle, sheep, goats, pigs and deer.

Performing animals

Information about performing animals.

Zoo licences

How to apply for a licence to run a zoo.