Scrap metal licences

If you run a scrap metal business or a motor salvage business in Denbighshire you must get a licence from the council. 

Since a change in the law in October 2013, operating without a licence is now a criminal offence.

What type of licence do I need?

You must apply for a licence if: 

  • you buy or sell scrap metal (whether or not it is sold in the form in which it was bought)
  • you recover salvageable parts from motor vehicles for re-use or sale, and sell the remainder of the vehicle for scrap

There are two types of licence - a site licence and a collector's licence.

Site licence

A site licence allows you to trade as a scrap metal dealer at any site, or more than one site, in Denbighshire. You must name a site manager for each site.

If you also want to trade in another county, you will need to apply for a licence from the local authority for that area too.

Collector's licence

A collector's licence allows you to trade as a mobile collector, and sell or dispose of metal in Denbighshire. This includes selling and disposing of salvageable parts from motor vehicles. A collector's licence does not authorise you to operate a site.

A collector's licence issued by us only allows you to operate as a collector in Denbighshire.  If you want to collect in more than one local authority area, you will need to apply for a collector's licence from each council separately.

You cannot hold a site licence and a collector's licence in the same local authority area, but you can apply for a site licence with one authority and a collector's licence with another authority.

How long do the licences last?

Both types of licence will last for 3 years.

How do I apply for a scrap metal licence?

To apply for a licence, you must complete an application form and include:


Scrap metal licence fees

  • Site licence grant 3 year licence: £343
  • Renew site licence (3 year): £263
  • Collector Licence Grant 3 year licence: £192
  • Renew collector licence (3 year): £148
  • Site/Collector licence variation: £69

How can I pay?

Payment can be made by card over the phone to customer services (01824 706000) or you can pay by BACS. Payment by cheque or cash is only available at one of Denbighshire’s One Stop Shops.

Payment by BACS

Our BACS details are:

  • Bank: Natwest, 5 Queen Street, Rhyl, LL18 1RS
  • Sort code: 54 41 06
  • Account number: 22837469
  • Account name: Denbighshire County Council County Fund

Please ensure that you include a reference when you are making payment i.e. name/premises/licence number (if known) together with the cost code. Once payment has been made, please send a copy of the remittance to

Cost codes

Please provide the cost code 3476-40096 when making a Scrap Metal Site licence payment.

Please provide the cost code 3476-40097 when making a Scrap Metal Collector licence payment.

Failing to provide the appropriate cost code or premises name may delay processing your application. 

More information

Limited details of all licence holders will be placed on the public register on the Natural Resources Wales website (external website).