Street trading

You must apply for a street trading licence or consent if you are going to sell goods or food in any street, or any public area.

Exceptions to this rule include news vendors or roundsmen. Please contact us to make sure you are exempt before you begin trading, or you may have your goods seized and face prosecution with a fine up to £1,000.

Street trading is prohibited in certain areas. Please check our list before you apply for a licence.

Street trading: prohibited streets (PDF, 47KB)

How do I apply?

To apply for street trading consent, you must complete an application form and return it to us, along with:

  • a location map, with the proposed trading area highlighted in red
  • one original document proving your identity (e.g. driving licence, passport, birth certificate)
  • the appropriate fee

Street trading consent application form (PDF, 1.58MB)

Post your application to the address on the form.

We will return your original identification document to you by recorded delivery.

You must not begin trading until you have paid the appropriate fee, and have received written consent from the council.

You can give up your consent by writing us a letter, and sending it to:

Licensing Team
Denbighshire County Council
Smithfield Road
LL16 3RJ

How much does it cost?

The fee for a street trading licence depends on how long the licence is valid for. You can specify this when you apply.

Costs for street trading licences
1 day   £50 
1 week  £150
1 month  £225
3 months  £650
6 months  £1,200
Annual licence  £2,000

Please contact us for information on how to pay.

More information

Charitable organisations will not have to pay the application fee. 

Find out more about collecting money or selling goods in the street for charitable purposes.