Club premises certificate

Apply for a club premises certificate if you are a social, sporting or political members club (like a working men’s club or British Legion) and you want to: 

  • sell or supply alcohol to members or guests
  • provide regulated entertainment, like musical performances or film screenings, to members or guests

If your club holds a club premises certificate: 

  • it may be able to supply alcohol to members and sell it to guests without the need for any member or employee to hold a personal licence – this depends on what the certificate allows
  • it doesn’t need to specify a Designated Premises Supervisor 
  • police and licensing officers have more limited rights of entry because the premises are private


To qualify for a club premises certificate, your club must make sure that: 

  • it has premises that are occupied and used regularly for club purposes
  • alcohol and entertainment is only provided to members and their guests on the club premises 
  • only someone 18 or older who is nominated by the club can serve alcohol or buy it for the club 
  • there is no arrangement for anyone to benefit financially from buying or selling alcohol 
  • new members wait two days from their application before getting membership privileges 
  • it is established and conducted in good faith 
  • it has at least 25 members

We recommend you read through our Statement of Licensing policy

Statement of licensing policy (PDF, 796KB)

A club premises certificate is valid indefinitely.

How do I apply for a club premises certificate?

You can apply for a club premises certificate online.

Apply for a club premises certificate online (external website)

When you apply, you will need to provide a plan of the premises, and a copy of the club rules. You will need to send a copy of your application to the responsible authorities.

Responsible Authorities for Denbighshire County Council (PDF, 164KB)

How much does it cost?

The fee for a club premises certificate application depends on the non-domestic rateable value (NDRV) of the premises. You will also be charged an annual fee for the certificate, which will be payable every year on the anniversary of the date the certificate is issued. You can find details on (external website).

How can I pay?

Payment can be made by card over the phone to customer services (01824 706000) or you can pay by BACS. Payment by cheque or cash is only available at one of Denbighshire’s One Stop Shops.

Payment by BACS

Our BACS details are:

  • Bank: Natwest, 5 Queen Street, Rhyl, LL18 1RS
  • Sort code: 54 41 06
  • Account number: 22837469
  • Account name: Denbighshire County Council County Fund

Please ensure that you include a reference when you are making payment i.e. name/premises/licence number (if known) together with the cost code. Once payment has been made, please send a copy of the remittance to

What if my circumstances change?

If your club holds a club premises certificate and the circumstances change, you must let us know.

Tell us about a minor change to your existing premises or club (external website)

Tell us about a change to your existing details or club rules (external website)

Tell us about a change to your existing club premises (external website)