Hackney carriage vehicle licence

Hackney carriages can be hailed on the street or picked up at a taxi rank.  Charges are based on an approved scale.

Hackney fares and charges (PDF, 470 KB)

Before you apply for a hackney carriage vehicle licence, you must make sure that your vehicle: 

  • complies with the specification and conditions (see Hackney carriage and private hire licensing policy and conditions)
  • has a taxi meter fitted 
  • has a roof sign fitted

Hackney carriage and private hire licensing policy and conditions (PDF, 487KB)

How do I apply?

To apply for a hackney carriage vehicle licence, you must complete a hackney carriage vehicle licence application form and return it to us along with:

  • the vehicle registration certificate (V5 / log book)
  • your current certificate of insurance 
  • certificate of compliance 
  • the licence fee
  • Mobility Tail Lift Service and Weight Test Certificate (where applicable)

Hackney carriage vehicle licence application (PDF, 738KB)

Post your application to: Licensing Section, Denbighshire County Council, PO Box 62, Ruthin, Denbighshire LL15 9AZ.

Certificate of compliance

When you first apply for a hackney carriage vehicle licence, your vehicle must pass a compliance test. This must be carried out at our licensed testing station at the Expressway Business Park, Abergele Road, Bodelwyddan LL18 5SQ. You can make an appointment by calling 01745 839244.

When you take your vehicle to be tested, it must have a taxi meter and a roof sign, and there must be a plate holder fitted on the rear of the vehicle. 

The compliance test, which includes an MOT certificate, will ensure that your vehicle meets the required standards. Vehicles new to the Denbighshire taxi “fleet” must not be over 5 years old. If your vehicle passes the compliance test, you will be given a certificate of compliance, which you must include with your licence application form.


You must provide proof that your vehicle is suitably insured. This means you must provide an insurance certificate that covers public hire or hackney carriage plying for hire or reward. Your insurance broker will be able to advise you on getting the right insurance cover.

Granting your licence

When we have received all the paperwork, and are satisfied that your vehicle meets our requirements, we will issue the vehicle licence, along with licence plates for your vehicle.

How long is the licence valid for?

Licences are granted for a maximum period of 12 months.

How much does it cost?

Applying for a hackney carriage vehicle licence currently costs £200

How can I pay?

Payment can be made by card over the phone or in person (by appointment) at our Caledfryn offices. Payment by cheque or cash is only available at one of Denbighshire’s One Stop Shops. Please contact us for the appropriate reference number before attempting to pay. Failing to provide the appropriate reference number may delay your application.

Equality Act 2010

Application for an exemption from duties under the equality act 2010 (PDF, 611KB)