Personal licence

A personal licence authorises a specified person to supply alcohol or allow the supply of alcohol at a premises which has a valid premises licence.

Personal licences are needed to supervise the sale of alcohol in any licensed premises, including pubs, off licences, restaurants and hotels. ‘Licensed premises’ include any premises allowed to sell alcohol under a premises licence. You don’t need a personal licence to sell alcohol under a temporary events notice.

Personal licences are not tied to specific venues. This means that a personal licence holder can authorise the sale of alcohol in any licensed venue in England and Wales.

How do I apply for this licence?

You must apply to the licensing authority for the area where you live, not the licensing authority in the area where you work.

Before you can apply for a new personal licence, you must attend a course to achieve the recognised licensing qualification. This is to ensure that licence holders are aware of licensing law, and the wider social responsibilities attached to the sale of alcohol.

Accredited personal licence qualification providers (PDF, 63KB)

Download an application form from (external website). Return your completed application form to us, along with: 

Photographs for personal licence application form (PDF, 40KB)

Post your application form, supporting documents and application fee to:

Licensing Team
Denbighshire County Council
Smithfield Road
LL16 3RJ

You cannot apply online because this application requires you to submit original documents.

If you already have a personal licence and your circumstances change (e.g. change of name or address, criminal convictions), you must let us know in writing. You will be charged £10.50 to change your personal details.

How long is the licence valid for?

Personal Licences, once granted, do not expire, unless revoked.

How much does it cost?

It costs £37 to apply for a personal licence.

How can I pay?

Payment can be made by card over the phone to customer services (01824 706000) or you can pay by BACS. Payment by cheque or cash is only available at one of Denbighshire’s One Stop Shops.

Payment by BACS

Our BACS details are:

  • Bank: Natwest, 5 Queen Street, Rhyl, LL18 1RS
  • Sort code: 54 41 06
  • Account number: 22837469
  • Account name: Denbighshire County Council County Fund

Please ensure that you include a reference when you are making payment i.e. name/premises/licence number (if known) together with the cost code. Once payment has been made, please send a copy of the remittance to

Cost code

Please provide the cost code 3476-40094 when making a Personal Licence payment.

Failing to provide the appropriate cost code or premises name may delay processing your application. 

More information

We recommend you read through our Statement of Licensing policy.

Statement of licensing policy (PDF, 796KB)