Local authority searches

When buying a property or piece of land, your solicitor will request a local authority search to see if there are any legal restrictions affecting the land or property. This is to make sure that you are aware of any local matters and so that there are no hidden surprises.

How to submit a search

Full searches can be submitted to us online and paid for either by account or debit/credit card.

Submit a local authority search online

Charges (inclusive of VAT)

  • Full search (LLC1 & CON29R) (residential property): £140
  • Full search (commercial property): £140
  • LLC1: £4
  • CON29O (Q.4 to 21): £12 per question
  • CON29O (Q.22): £30

If you are an applicant who is in receipt of state benefits these charges will be waived.

If you are not sure whether an address is in Denbighshire, you can contact us with the details you have and we will try to find out.

We aim to complete and return your search within 7 working days. The search will check for any planning applications, building regulation applications, Tree Preservation Orders and provide information on adopted roads surrounding the property and any other matters that are requested.

There are 3 types of search:

Form LLC1

This search requests information from the register about all local land charges registered against a property, for example, planning permissions, tree preservations orders, grants and conservation areas. 

Full Search (form LLC1 and forms CON29R and CON29O)

The full search consists of the basic search of the Local Land Charges register, plus an additional list of standard enquiries for the local authority- 16 set questions (form CON29R) and 19 optional questions (form CON29O). This search provides all of the information on form LLC1 plus additional information relating to planning history, roadways and environmental matters. 

We are unable to provide copies of these forms.

Personal search

A personal search consists of information from the local land charges register only. These searches are carried out by private companies, separate to the Council. These private search companies are responsible for the content of these searches, not the Council.

No appointment necessary.

Guidance for Personal Search Companies (PDF, 402KB) 


When submitting a search you must submit an Ordnance Survey based location plan A4/A3 size with the curtilage of the property/land to be searched outlined in red. Please mark i.e. colour/hatch any roadways that are listed in Box C on the plan. If you are submitting a postal request to us, only one copy of the plan need be supplied.

Other ways to search

You can also submit a search online through the National Land Information Service (NLIS) or through TM Official Search Services.