Premises licence

Individuals and businesses will need a premises licence in order to sell alcohol by retail, to sell hot food and drink between 11pm and 5am, and to provide regulated entertainment. This includes: 

  • performance of a play 
  • exhibition of a film 
  • indoor sporting event 
  • boxing or wrestling entertainment 
  • playing of recorded music 
  • performance of dance 
  • performance of live music, but only in some cases. Find out if you need a licence (external website)

You will still need a licence even if the activities are for charity.

If you run a private club you can apply for a club premises certificate instead of a premises licence.

Applications must be sent to the licensing authority for the area in which the premises are located.

If you are building or converting a property and you intend for it to become licensed premises, you can apply for a provisional statement.

We recommend you read through our Statement of Licensing policy.

Statement of licensing policy (PDF, 796KB)

How do I apply for this licence?

If you intend to apply for a premises licence allowing the sale and supply of alcohol, then you will also need: 

  • personal licence holder to authorise the supply of alcohol in line with your premises licence 
  • to nominate a designated premise supervisor (DPS) on your premises licence application. The premises supervisor must be a personal licence holder.

The quickest and easiest way to apply for a premises licence is to apply online.

Apply for a premises licence online (external website)

If you would prefer to complete a paper copy of the application form, you can download one from (external website).

When you apply you will need to provide an operating schedule, a plan of the premises and a copy of the designated premises supervisor’s consent form (external website) (for applications where the sale of alcohol will be a licensable activity). An operating schedule will include details of:

  • the licensable activities
  • the times when the activities will take place
  • any other times when the premises will be open to the public
  • in the case of applicants who wish to have a limited licence, the period the licence is required for
  • information in respect of the premises supervisor
  • whether any alcohol that is to be sold is for consumption on or of the premises or both
  • the steps proposed to be taken to promote the licensing objectives
  • any other required information

When you apply for a premises licence you will need to send entire copies of your application to the Responsible Authorities. These are agencies who have specific powers under the Licensing Act to promote the four licensing objectives: 

  • Prevention of crime and disorder
  • Protection of children from harm 
  • Public safety 
  • Prevention of public nuisance
Responsible Authorities for Denbighshire County Council Licensing Act 2003

Police - Conwy and Denbighshire Licensing Manager

Fire Service Conwy and Denbighshire Safety Office

Planning Compliance (Planning Section)

Pollution Control

Safe Guarding and Regeneration Section

Trading Standards


  • Address:

    Administration & Resource Officer
    Public Health Directorate
    Hendy Road
    CH7 1PZ

  • Email:
  • Phone number: 01352 803273

Licensing Authority

Home Office

  • Address:

    Alcohol Licensing Team
    Lunar House
    40 Wellesley Road
    CR9 2BY

  • Email:
  • Phone number: 01492 510361

A premises licence is valid indefinitely from the date it is issued. However you can request for the licence to expire after a fixed date.

When you apply for a premises licence you must advertise the application in the local press, and at the premises for 28 days.

Public Notice Guidance Notes (PDF, 131KB)

How much does it cost?

The fee for a premises licence application depends on the non-domestic rateable value (NDRV) of the premises. You can find details on (external website).

You will also be charged an annual maintenance fee for the licence, which will be payable every year on the anniversary of the date the licence is granted.

How can I pay?

Payment can be made by card over the phone to customer services (01824 706000) or you can pay by BACS. Payment by cheque or cash is only available at one of Denbighshire’s One Stop Shops.

Payment by BACS

Our BACS details are:

  • Bank: Natwest, 5 Queen Street, Rhyl, LL18 1RS
  • Sort code: 54 41 06
  • Account number: 22837469
  • Account name: Denbighshire County Council County Fund

Please ensure that you include a reference when you are making payment i.e. name/premises/licence number (if known) together with the cost code. Once payment has been made, please send a copy of the remittance to

Cost code

Please provide the cost code 3476-40092 when making a premises licence payment.

Failing to provide the appropriate cost code or premises name may delay processing your application. 

Legislation and conditions

Licensing Act 2003 (external website)

Processing and timescales

We must deal with your application within 28 days and check the public notice is displayed, the premises may be inspected before your application is considered.

After the 28 days, providing no representations have been made the licence is deemed as granted. 

If representations have been made following the 28-day consultation i.e. conditions put forward by a responsible authority and agreement has been reached by all parties to amend the application to include those conditions, a dispensed Licensing Sub-Committee hearing will be arranged as soon as practicable. This is an administrative function and there will be no requirement for the applicant to attend. The Licensing Act does not permit any change or alteration to an application once it has been submitted to the Licensing Authority, therefore any modification i.e. additional agreed conditions can only be appended to a licence by Members of the Licensing Sub-Committee.

If representations have been made and agreement to any alterations/conditions cannot be reached following mediation, a Hearing of the Licensing Sub-Committee will be arranged within 20 working days following the end of the 28-day consultation period. All parties will be invited to attend. The Committee may grant the Licence, grant with modifications or reject the application. 

The licensing authority will serve a notice of its decision on the applicant, any person who has made relevant representations and the chief of police.

Appeal/Redress mechanisms:

  • If an application is refused, the applicant may appeal the decision.
  • Appeals must be made to the magistrate’s court within 21 days of the decision.
  • A licence holder can also appeal against a decision to put conditions on a Licence or to exclude a licensable activity.

Contact details:

Licensing Section
Denbighshire County Council
Smithfield Road
LL16 3RJ